In an interview, you'll probably hear a lot of the same, overused questions: What's your biggest weakness? Why do you want to work here? Where do you see yourself in five years? (You know the drill.) If you've prepared answers to these, you're golden.
But what happens if you're asked an oddball question that comes out of nowhere? There's always a chance you'll be asked a weird question that you weren't expecting. Lucky for you, Glassdoor.com compiled a list of 25 oddball interview questions that companies have actually asked, from the difficult to the bizarre.
Here are our 15 favorites:
1. "If you were shrunk to the size of a pencil and put in a blender, how would you get out?" Asked at Goldman Sachs. View Goldman Sachs jobs.
2. "What is the philosophy of Martial Arts?" Asked at Aflac. View Aflac jobs.
3. "Rate yourself on a scale of 1 to 10 how weird you are." Asked at Capital One. View Capital One jobs.
4. "How many basketball[s] can you fit in this room" Asked at Google. View Google jobs.
5. "If you could be any superhero, who would it be?" Asked at AT&T. View AT&T jobs.
6. "You have a birthday cake and have exactly 3 slices to cut it into 8 equal pieces. How do you do it?" Asked at Blackrock. View Blackrock jobs.
7. "Given the numbers 1 to 1000, what is the minimum numbers guesses needed to find a specific number if you are given the hint 'higher' or 'lower' for each guess you make." Asked at Facebook. View Facebook jobs.
8. "An apple costs 20 cents, an orange costs 40 cents, and a grapefruit costs 60 cents, how much is a pear?" Asked at Epic Systems. View Epic Systems jobs.
9. "How many traffic lights in Manhattan?" Asked at Argus Information & Advisory Services. View Argus Information & Advisory Services jobs.
10. "What do wood and alcohol have in common?" Asked at Guardsmark. View Guardsmark jobs.
11. "How do you weigh an elephant without using a weigh machine?" Asked at IBM. View IBM jobs.
12. "You have 8 pennies, 7 weigh the same, one weighs less. You also have a judges scale. Find the one that weighs less in less than 3 steps." Asked at Intel. View Intel jobs.
13. "What's the square root of 2000?" Asked at UBS. View UBS jobs.
14. "How are M&M's made?" Asked at US Bank. View US Bank jobs.
15. "What would you do if you just inherit a pizzeria from your uncle?" Asked at Volkswagen. View Volkswagen jobs.
Job seekers – have you been asked a weird question in an interview? Share the oddball interview questions you've asked! Of you think you've got a great answer to one of these questions, share it in the comments below!